HISTORY OF ROTARY INTERNATIONAL
Paul Harris a Chicago attorney formed the Rotary Club of Chicago on the 23rd February 2005, so professionals and business men with diverse backgrounds could exchange ideas, enjoy fellowship and form meaningful friendships. Rotary’s name came from the group’s early practice of rotating meetings among the offices of its members. Paul Harris soon realized that Rotary needed a greater purpose.
When Paul Harris was elected as third President of the Chicago Rotary Club in 1907, the club initiated its first public service project, the construction of public toilets in Chicago. This step transformed Rotary into the world’s first Service Club.
Paul Harris died on the 27th January 1947 at the age of 78. By the time of his death Rotary International had grown to more than 200,000 members in 75 countries.
Rotary now has approximately 1,200,000 members in 200 countries.
Rotary perseveres in rough times, and for more than 110 years Rotary has been addressing challenges around the world, Rotary is not afraid to dream big and set bold goals.
“Whatever Rotary may mean to us, to the world it will be known by the results it achieves.”
Paul Harris (Rotary Founder)
The Rotary Club of Kawana Waters
The Rotary Club of Kawana Waters Inc. was chartered on the 21st March 1980 with 21 members.
Kawana is an aboriginal word denoting the many native wild flowers that were growing in the wallum swamps of our area before development began, and in 1979 Kawana Waters was a rapidly developing community.
In 1979 District 9600 Governor, Ben Bennett, a member of the Caloundra Rotary Club, considered it was time for another Rotary Club on the central Sunshine Coast.
Maroochydore and Mooloolaba Rotary clubs were consulted and agreed in principle to the sharing of their jointly held territory with a third Club.
PP Bob Martin, of the Mooloolaba Club, was appointed the District Governor’s Special Representative and Mooloolaba Rotary Club offered to sponsor the new club.
Bob Martin and his Rotaryanne Freda, interviewed prospective members and identified there was enough interest to hold an interest meeting. The meeting was convened at the Headland Golf Club in Buderim on the 27th February 1980 and it was decided to proceed with the formalisation of a provisional Club, to be known as the Rotary Club of Kawana Waters. The first provisional club meeting was held at Pipis Restaurant on the 4th March 1980.
The General Secretary of Rotary International approved the recommendation of District Governor Ben Bennett to admit the new club to Rotary International and the World President James D Bomar Jnr signed the Charter on 21st March 1980. The RI theme of President Rolf J Klarich for 1980/81 was “Take Time to Serve”.
The charter night was celebrated at a dinner at the restaurant of the Sunshine Plantation, Woombye. The charter was presented to the Club by District Governor, Ben Bennett at the celebration dinner on the 24th May 1980 which was attended by 283 Rotarians and guests.
There were a number of interesting events associated with the birth of the Club, the most significant event being the arraival and presentation of our Club’s sergeant at arms bell. The bell now known as the Shoreham Bell, was donated by the District Governor’s representative and club founder, Shoreham UK Bob Martin, and mounted by charter president Graham Leach. Later that year Graham presented, at a meeting of the Shoreham UK Rotary Club, a reciprocal gift of an engraved gavel, crafted by charter member Henry Cowan from a Mooloolaba Norfolk Island Pine limb. A Paul Harris Fellowship was presented to PP Bob Martin in recognition of his, and Freda’s many years of Rotary service.